RE: Thrust

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thrust
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:59:07 -0500
Good point, Neil.

I learned recip, rotary, turbine, and rocket theory almost simultaneously
(being fascinated with all those things as a child)-- and they were all
among the great mysteries of life!-- so the contrast in the mechanical
complexity of a recip versus the (relative) simplicity of a turbine didn't
hit me for a long time.  But, you are right-- the basic principles and
processes of turbines are simple compared to recips.  And it appears to me
that a well-designed turbine is simpler to maintain and tune.

But "the devil is in the details", as they say. DESIGN of turbines (and
"hot-rodding" modification of surplus turbines) may actually be HARDER than
the recips, due to the subtleties of the cooling requirements, tip-seal
function, compressor and "hot-section" blade airfoil design, metallurgy--
etc., etc., etc.  Still, I'd like to tackle a (shaft) turbine lsr project,
if the opportunity arises.

You know, it's really easy to do the REVERSE of the exercise you experienced
(teaching turbine mechanics how recips work).  To teach a recip mechanic how
a gas turbine works, all you say is...

-- imagine a turbocharger, sitting all by itself
-- run a connector pipe from the compressor outlet to the turbine inlet
-- put a fuel-oil injector and a glow-plug in the connector pipe
You have a gas turbine!
Russ, #1226B