Re: Wheels to be true?

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheels to be true?
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:33:41 -0500
Keith, Not sure which way you're saying the runout is 1/4" but I would agree
that's entirely too much for a rim of any size. I shoot for 100% with my
limit being a maximum of .040" for both lateral and radial runout(with
imperfections of chroming, weldup and corrosion taken into consideration).
After that's achieved and the tire is mounted I check radial runout of the
tire at it's center for less then 1/8".  I have seen(actually got shown by an
old timer the first time) both mounting of the tire and defective tires
themselves cause very excecessive radial runout on a perfectly trued rim.
This is on spoked motorcycle rims which I feel are totally different then a
flat footprint car tire when it comes to balancing. I've yet to find a need
to balance a mounted tire for myeself, our customers(including our local
constables) or for LSR when doing this this way. I use name brand tires also,
dunlop, avon, metzler and cheng-shin. Probably the best ones to ask about
this IMO would be Kosman at kosman.net. They'll be making a wheel for my bike
next year and their knowledge seemed very intensive on the phone.
Todd- (expecting my nickel in the mail buddy)

> Okay guys and gals .... nickle question.... how close do your wheels
> have to be to be considered true?
-snip-