Re: Fire Extinguishers

To: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Subject: Re: Fire Extinguishers
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 09:31:10 -0800
Jim,
Halon is different than other extinguishing agents because "it
chemically interferes with the
combustion process by breaking up its complex chemical reaction"
 http://www.stable-energies.com/exting/
This takes place at concentrations starting at about 3%, no more than 10%.
Check the Halon MSDS and you will find out how nasty Halon  can be.
The above web sight also has information about "Aqueous Film-Forming Foams"
which have advanced enormously in recent years as the industry has been
forced to
come up with replacements for the older ozone unfriendly chemicals.
Modern  laws
prohibiting damage to the user have led to the creation of the new stuff.
Breathing high concentrations 20%+ is similar to breathing tear gas but
not quiet
as bad. You will cough for 2-3 days if you get a good dose. Halon clears
from
the blood quickly - half life is about 6.5 minutes.
Remember, any fresh air into the driver area works for the fuel and against
the extinguishing agent. The driver (except in Dave's hi-tech car) need
oxygen
and so does the fire.
Thomassen & Tradup in Danny Boy have a compressed air SCUBA
setup to address that dilemma.

I hope no one ever has to use their fire system,
Bryan