Towing vehicles?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Towing vehicles?
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:16:03 -0600
While we are on the subject of trailers and towing...

I keep having the thought that it might be better to have a dedicated tow
vehicle that does nothing but towing.

There are several options here.... Step Vans and motor homes being the easiest
examples...

I just see motor homes out there at exceptionally reasonable prices with low
milage... seems the old farts have a retirement plan that works for a year or
two then they park these things....   My first concern is the power
avalible... but I've even seen several of these with serious motors ( not
converted car motors... )  I look at the motel bills and the truck bills.. and
can't help but wonder...

One of the  problems is how do you get around once your there and have the
pits set up?  Driving a motor home to dinner doesn't sound like the greatest
plan.. that or running into town to pick up the gasket sealer that you
forgot...

The problem I see with the step van is the comfort level for long tows...
Keep in mind my shortest trip to a race track is 1200 miles round trip.

Just some meandering thoughts... curious what others opinions are

Keith