RE: CFD aka Computational Fluid Dynamics

To: <Flowbench@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CFD aka Computational Fluid Dynamics
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:04:53 -0500
There are 3 problems with CFD.
1. Your input model has to be perfect right down to body imperfections in
joints etc.
2. It is still a simulation and as such subject to the rules of the software
correct or not. I would only believe the results if they matched a known set
of conditions on a fully instrumented car. Then I would make a change to the
model that is seemingly for the better and CAREFULLY test again.
3. It takes a tremendous amount of time and money.

There is no substitute for fully instrumenting the car.
Channels
Ride height all 4 corners
Load cell all 4 again
Accelerometer 3 axis these have to be located on the CG in all 3 axis
pitch and yaw sensors
air pressure sensors above and below the car in various places

with this info then go to the CFD software and see if the model and software
agree with what you are seeing.

some basic links
http://www.rhino3d.com/
http://www.fluent.com/solutions/automotive/aero.htm