RE: Traction Control

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Traction Control
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 06:26:51 -0500
This may sound like a flame but it is an honest reply to what you wrote..
The nuberas in the reply line up with the ones i inserted in your post as it
was hard to follow.

1) Sorry to say if anyone at an LSR race was as good as they think they are
they would be driving for an F1 team. Has Williams or Ferrari been leaving
you voice mails or calling during dinner to nag you to drive for them?? I
didn't think so. Not even a Winston Cup team? Driving is one of the two
things most men claim to be experts, the other is lubrication. Keep saying
'I am a good driver' it always makes me feel better. If you do it while
repacking the wheel bearings you have them both at the same time.

2) it is power to weight ratio related take the weight of your car and
divide it by the power it has at Bonneville not off the dyno. if the number
is less than 5 it might help you otherwise it is probably a waste of time.

3) no one is telling you how to race your car just as it is not your job to
tell anyone else the proper way to race theirs.

4) You would be no more out of control than if the tires you were spinning
finally blew out. Ask Earl Wooden, among others how much fun that is. Sorry
Earl for picking on you, but you are a talented driver and to have a tire
failure become a handfull for you is a good example.

5) I worry about flying as well usually while waiting in the terminal at the
airport. When I sing in the shower I believe I should have stayed with the
garage band and become a rock star it is about the same. If spinning tires
precede flight Bonneville would be an airport. Flight is about mass and lift
but you knew that. Has Bill Taylor ever suggested you were cleared for take
off?

6) It is banned because almost every other form of racing is entertainment
not racing. The only difference between NASCAR and a circus is NASCAR does
not have a dunking tank, yet. They do have ringleaders clowns jugglers and
the rest of them though. The whole point in the entertainment is the pack
run as close to each other as possible because no matter what is said they
do need the occasional drama of rubbing fenders and a spin or two. It is all
part of the show. NHRA is a show as well it is why they have 2 lanes and we
don't

7) You are finally getting the point you record the wheel speeds and if the
system was limiting power, then fix the car. The goal is for it to not limit
power, until then it is a learning aid allowing us to have a car with air in
the tires pointed in the right direction at the end of the run because in
reality none of us can drive as good as they think they can. You don't get
enough seat time to be that good. You probably get less that 2 hours a year
if you are lucky. A long course pass is around 2 minutes that is 60 of them
in a year. Do you have that many in a year. A Winston Cup or Cart driver
gets more than that every week.

Dave Dahlgren