Re: Traction Control

To: "landspeed email" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Traction Control
From: "Terry Hunt" <guambomb743@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:28:50 -0800
Traction control sounds like it could be of value to drivers in certain
situations. For example, driving on snow covered roads. These systems might
save the lives of average motorists. Good idea. But, we're not average drivers
doing average driving. When at Bonneville we're land speed racers going as
fast as we can. With the power available these days, many vehicles regardless
of class can go TOO  fast. This results in spin outs and worse yet, flying the
race car. Since I started, I've been able to adjust the car and my driving to
go faster. As you all know, it's very satisfying to make the car work better.
Becoming a better driver for me is an interregnal part of why I do this and "
traction control" isn't going to make me a better driver.
Traction control will probably get me going faster than the speed I can
achieve by pedaling the car. This sounds good until you consider that if the
T/C systems fails at a critical speed and it's active, you are instantly out
of control. I worry about flying the car and believe that a lose condition
precedes flying. An exception might be a mechanical  or tire failure. In any
case, I want to make the judgments and have control. And have fun trying!
I don,t know why T/C is universally banned by racing organizations, but the
possibility of a system failure as a reason seems likely to me.
Finally,  while I'm not for T/C, I am for data recording, particularly as it
pertains to ride heigth. Getting Getting a heads up on the handling of a car
is a way to this type of racing safer. Terry Hunt, Guam Bomb, #743