Re: WORLD RECORDS

To: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: WORLD RECORDS
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:07:50 -0700
Having watched FIA record certification in action on the salt and also at
boat racing events some thirty five years back, some things are certainly
clear to me;

The certification from Glen Barrett and SCTA and the esteem in which that
certification is held among the racer's peers is, near immediate and at
least timely.

FIA certification is slipshod from their record keeping to issuance of their
certification.  It is much slower than is necessary and issued by people who
are at best, disinterested in those who set the records.  Even when Graham
(sp?) Light from NHRA was the person doing the certification some years back
at World of Speed, the delay in getting official FIA certification back to
those who had paid for it seemed to be interminable.  He at least understood
what he was seeing and there was no delay in getting the proper papers to
the FIA office.  That still didn't speed up their certification.

For the FIA, big money is a factor and they are much more interested in the
European F-1 racers and the millions they provide than some USA amateurs.

When Louise has been around landspeed racing as long as Bryan and others on
this list she may come to understand more clearly the FIA attitude that has
done nothing to make friends with Bonneville racers.  My thanks to her for
her efforts to get FIA certification for Don Vesco and others who are long
overdue in their recognition.  I just don't get a feeling that she
understands the frustration with the FIA that has built over all the years.

Then there's the "mildly rebellious" attitude that dates back almost 400
years for people in what is now the USA toward anything from across the
pond.

Wes