Re: Rails vs Spoilers

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Rails vs Spoilers
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:38:28 -0500
Keith is of course 100% correct. (awww hard to admit).
To add to his post though, NASCAR is using roof rails.  They do prevent the
car from flying when going sideways at high speed.
Roof Flaps on the other hand are to plant the car when going backwards, or
coming around to the right when close to the wall.  In the past I have tried
to learn about the development of the flaps from one of my friends at Roush,
and did not get any specific information other than the "close to the wall"
reason for the angled Right side flap.  I was told though that deployment at
very high speeds can actually tweak the chassis due to the loads incurred.
I don't know if it is true, but can imagine some serious loads considering
the size of the flaps.  (almost as big as my high speed parachute :=d  )

Hope everyone had a safe new year.  Spent some time off line due to mailer
problems.

Rick Byrnes