RE: Rails vs Spoilers

To: saltfever@comcast.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rails vs Spoilers
From: "Glenn Ridlen" <glennr7@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:17:35 -0600
Elon
Their are probably people here much mure qualified than I to answer this. So
this just my guess/opinion. I think the NASCAR flaps are primarily to keep
the car from lifting when it is going backwards. If you watch some of the
old crash films you can see this happening. They are set at a little angle.
Don't know if that't to help them start opening as the car comes around so
they are fully deployed by the time the car is backwords or to make them
more effective when the car is going backwords at some angle. Roof rails on
the other hand are only effective when the car is going sideways. Think
maybe the concern was the car lifting then coming down, digging in and
rolling. If you think you need flaps I don't think there is any rule against
them.

                                       Glenn