RE: New BFMS Car Questions

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New BFMS Car Questions
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:54:09 -0600
Ed & John;

I had a problem with 15" wheel/caliper clearance on the front of my Mirage a
few years ago. I couldn't find any stock wheels that would fit so I bit the
bullet and went to Jongbloed to have a pair of their modular wheels made for
my application.

I provided them with the usual specs: wheel diameter, width, backspacing, &
bolt pattern but I also made a cardboard template of the rear protrusions
that caused my clearance problems. Having that template allowed Bill
Jongbloed to profile the inner half so that it cleared the calipers and
upper ball joints.

These wheels aren't cheap ($$$$$$$$$$) but they are very lightweight (about
14 lbs for a 15x8) three- piece modular wheels built for racing. They
consist of two spun aluminum sections that are bolted to a cast magnesium
center. Their low weight keeps the tire in better contact with the
road/salt.

Needless to say, they should be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned if they
are run on salt.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ