RE: Down Force Spoiler - - Aeronautics Question

To: "'Dick J'" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Down Force Spoiler - - Aeronautics Question
From: "Mathew Sanchez" <mathew.sanchez@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:13:52 -0000
Two posts in six months? I'm not sure what the rules are with NHRA but
with PRA (VW) the restriction is that the spoiler has to be no higher
than the bottom of the rear screen which is why a lot of drag VW's are
based on early Split/Oval Bugs as the bottom of the screen is higher on
these. A company in Germany now produces a tiny spoiler for the roof and
it works really well (about 1"). To get the equivalent from a lower
mounted spoiler (certainly on a VW) you have to make it much larger. I
know the VW is different to most cars but I thought I'd mention it.

Mat (Londonish, UK)

The most common method I have found is to slap a big spoiler on the back
of the trunk lid.  That positions the spoiler  right in the middle of
turbulence where the air flow has already separated from the body.
Wouldn't it make more sense to use a smaller spoiler (maybe only 1"
tall) at the top of the rear window where the laminar flow is still
tight against the curve of the body?

Dick J
In East Texas