Re: Down Force Spoiler - - Aeronautics Question

To: "Bob Denton" <foxriverkid@earthlink.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Down Force Spoiler - - Aeronautics Question
From: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:23:19 -0800
It's not an air vent it's an air duct.  The rule book definition is
specific. Roadsters usually use 3 to 4" tubes from the rear axle area of the
floorboard to the deck lid. It's design is predicated on the placement of
the driver/rollcage ei: maximum driver setback.  Sometimes they are not
originated above the rear axle but farther forward.  The best example of
this is on the cover of the 1976 rule using a picture of the #256 fuel
roadster. You can just see the beginings of the ducts under the car, and the
1975 rule book shows where they exit in another picture of the back of the
car thru the deck lid in the roadster section.
If you choosee to use louvers in the back of roadster on in the lid please
remember that is a low pressure area and the "fire" will come back thru
them. The reason you rarely see any. Damn if I only had a 29...J.D. Good
Luck

I believe the current roadster using them is # 470. as I remember it's a
beautiful metallic marron traditional high- boy '29 on deuce rails.  I
havn't seen it in the last few years. Remember Dan?

> Interesting comments regarding roadsters and deck venting. I curious
> about a couple of things. Where on the deck are they located? On the
> flat top part?, Or down-the-curve, so to speak. Would louvers punched to
> intake from the front work? Or what kind of a vent? How big?
>
> Bob Denton

 Roadsters need them