Re: The Toyota NASCAR Racing Engine.

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Toyota NASCAR Racing Engine.
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:45:28 -0800
Dave,

>If Toyota can keep valves under control at 17k rpm do you think they might
>need whom to teach them a lesson??

The 17K motors don't have all of the machinery and monkey motion to deal
with. On day 1, I bet
the Toyota folks spent time examining the current state of the art in
NASCAR racing motors.
I expect they have made significant improvements in their motor.

 >I think if you want to watch some circle track racing maybe the
sprinters on
 >dirt or some Saturday night bullring with the super modified cars.

I agree. I enjoy going to the Placerville Fairgrounds Speedway, a 1/4
mile high banked dirt track.
The surface is OK but not nearly as heavy as Baylands or Ascot were. The
smaller the car, the more
fun for me. Mini Sprints, Midgets and Sprinters (360 & 410) are all a
grin --  real racing!!

John,

>When talking about push rod engines, one must remember the Mercedes/Illmore
>champ car engine. That too was a push rod engine though you would be hard
pressed to notice it.

NASCAR noticed that too. They didn't all the cam to be a foot above the
crank and it must be
90 degrees between banks.

Why would Toyota try to build a 1,000 HP motor (which we know they can
do) when they
know NASCAR would just put a 1/4 inch restrictor plate on it? Wouldn't
be smarter to design
an engine  that would be unbreakable at 10,000 RPM and 800-850 HP.
Three things are required to win in NASCAR today. First is a
Professional pit crew, a group
of people that spend 60 Hrs a week training for pit stops. Next, a fast
learner with excellent
communication skills who is also a good driver. Finely a car that has
predictable handling,
can be quickly setup for the track, responds predictably to changes
during the race and a
reliable engine that puts out the NASCAR approved 817.1143 HP.

The word going around NASCAR is that Toyota won't move up to XXXXX Cup
unless
NASCAR approves EFI. GM is also pushing for EFI so it can advertise a
new, patented,
system in 2005 or 2006.

I love the Streamliner class at Bonneville - even without traction control,
Bryan