Re: Kids racing

To: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Kids racing
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:19:28 -0700
I think we are in such a different climate today that an organized drag
strip doesn't have the allure it did for us in the fifties.  Then, a car
that could break eighty in the quarter was an extremely fast car and usually
was driven by the builder who had raced a lot before/while building his car.
Today there are cars off the showroom floor that will do 0 to 60 in less
than six seconds that are a first car for young drivers.  Today you have
movies glorifying street racing.  Combine that with cars that are a quantum
leap in speed over the cars of the fifties.  The difference in potential
speeds shows the truth of the oft repeated "Speed Kills" mantra of safety
officials.

A drag strip will attract some of the drivers who race on the street but
they are almost the exception.  With Hollywood giving the allure of racing
on the street over a drag strip the cachet it does, I don't think we will
ever go back to the days where a strip means as much.  I'd like to see it
Bryan but I think the pop culture is against it.  I hope I'm wrong.

Wes