Re: powdercoating

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: powdercoating
From: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 14:41:56 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/2004 8:25:07 AM Central Standard Time,
wester6935@comcast.net writes:
Are you sure they were clean before you did the  powdercoating?  From what
I've learned at two facilities and from a friend, they have to be prepared
very well before coating.  The friend works at the Fram Filter manufacturing
plant in Clearfield.  They powdercoat the filter cans in house and he's
pretty savvy about the process.  May be your electrical charge wasn't strong
enough too.  The curing process requires a solid heat of over 400 degrees
too.  Have you put a good thermometer in your old oven to check the
temperature accurately?
Wes the parts were sandblasted and wiped off with solvent so I would say they
were clean. I wouldn't think the charge would have to be any stronger than to
have the powdercoating stick to the parts. Now the heat might not have been
hot enough but it melted it down and made a smooth surface. I'll check the heat
next time and see what happens.
Thanks Larry Mac