RE: Chute Forces (1)

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, "John Goodman" <ggl205@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Chute Forces (1)
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:37:56 -0400
I came up with a bunch of contraptions menatlly though never built any of
them.
The two that made the most sense to me where a cylinder with water, a piston
and a coil spring inside. As you pull on the end of the cylider it forces
the water out into a tank and compresses the spring wound to have an
increasing rate as it is compressed. as the load is reduced the cylinder
goes back and water refills it from the tank. A great big shock.

The other thing was two counter rotating drums with friction material
between them. The tow line is fed out of each drum(2 of them tied to the
chute, turning each drum in an opposite direction. Turns the energy into
heat. You could use one drum and a fixed frition device but seemed to make
the load asymentrical and I don't think you want that.
Dave