Re: Propane Flame throwers???

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Propane Flame throwers???
From: Mike Lackey <mike_lackey@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:47:04 -0700 (PDT)
--- Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net> wrote:

> Okay this has nothing to do with nothing... but one of my buddy's kids has
> been hanging around my shop on Sundays....   he's build himself a little rat
> rod and it's well.... it's a rat rod... and he and his dad built it so it's
> very cool.... low buck... okay it's dirt cheap... but the kid is very nice...
> cleans up after himself and has been known to throw his hands into whatever
> I'm doing at the time....
>
> Now to the problem.... he comes by last weekend with this thing.. ( I won't
> use the word car even loosely ).. and he's installed a couple of spark plugs
> in the exhaust.... and a coil... his switch set up doesn't work well... so I
> hook it up to the tach wire and wahlaaaa... instant great spark... only it's
> flames are well woozy... they just don't have any real merit... ( neither does
> the car...but you know the deal...)   End up talking to Freibuger during the
> week and mention the deal... and he says there is a way to hook up Propane to
> enhance the flame propagation.....  anyone here know how to hook this stuff
> up....
>
> Keith ( Life is good...working to hard again.. but I seem to be happiest that
> way )

Why not use gasoline?  You've already got a tank full of it.

On my brother's Cadillac, we rigged something up using old race parts laying
around the garage.
We used a spare electric fuel pump and a solenoid from a nitrous kit along with
some fuel line to
provide fuel to the exaust.  Instead of a nozzle, we just pinched the end of
the steel line
(1/4"?) that went into the exhaust to get it to spray a bit.  I'd also
recommend having larger
diameter exhaust tubing to make extensions to the tailpipes so you don't melt
your taillights or
burn off whatever paint he has on his rat rod.  Also, having the extensions
being a little larger
will leave a gap for air to get in and that seem to help get the flame going.

My brother's Cadillac will shoot flames about 8-10 feet.  It's simple and works
well, but it could
be improved upon.  As is, it leaves little trails of burning gas on the ground
as well (Back to
the Future!) which the local authorities don't seem to like too much.

=====
-Mike Lackey
'68 Chevy C10
'94 Corvette Coupe