Re: What's in your crankcase?

To: Land Speed <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: What's in your crankcase?
From: "Stephen F. Doherty" <f10ab1b9865@dslextreme.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:04:14 -0800
If I may branch off and address viscosity:

One of the comments that is commonly made about Rollie Free
is that he ran a very low viscosity oil, like 10 wt (or
maybe less?), and one also hears about racers pre-heating
the oil, to avoid running the engine for a time to get
the oil up to temp.  I also suspect Rollie wasn't concerned
about getting hundreds of flat out miles from the engine,
just enough miles for that year's meet.

This raises a few questions.

How significant of a power loss difference is there between
running lighter or heavier weight oil?

The Vincent, having roller bearings on the crank and relying
on oil flow, not pressure, is this a more favorable environment
to run a lighter oil, ie can a plain bearing motor cope with
such a light wt oil?

What weight oil would you say (guess?) is the 'norm' for land
speed racers, either overall or separating out bikes from cars?

For whatever reason, I had this perception that all, or most,
land speed racers were running as light a weight oil they could,
and this comment of running 50 wt stood out.

SFD