Re: What's in your crankcase?

To: f10ab1b9865@dslextreme.com (Stephen F. Doherty), land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What's in your crankcase?
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:32:05 -0500
I recently had a chat with a member of one of the leading Bonneville
roadster teams.  He said they use a dry-sump system which keeps 100 psi
in the engine at all times, and always use Valvoline
Racing(non-synthetic) 20w-50, but they have a heater for the oil tank
and get it to about 200 degrees F before they fire the car up to run it.
This is with an extremely high-output and high rpm smallblock Chevy.

I use 5w-30 Motorcraft non-synthetic in my Ardun at ECTA and it works
fine for me.  I feel with this low-cold-viscosity oil, I don't have to
worry about getting it real hot.  It works fine for me, no trouble.  It
is a fact that cold 20w-50 oil is pretty thick, and I can see that it
might not be able to get through the crank to the rod bearings at high
rpm; and cause the trouble that Bryan described.

Obviously personal taste has a lot to do with what oil you like to run
in your racer... Bill H.