Whatever did we do before Mig welders?

To: <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Whatever did we do before Mig welders?
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:58:28 -0600
Okay guys.... I've got this auger I'm building for work... it's a fairly stout
bit.. 11' long and 42" wide....18" deep... on a stand... 6' high.... and I'm
thinking... ( always a cause for serious concern )

The main 5" trough is 1/4" thick pipe I split with my handy Dandy Plasma
cutter....  and I'm welding 3/16th plates to the sides to form a  valley into
it....  Bottom line... is that joint with the 1/4" and the 3/16th is right on
the edge of my Mig welders ability...  Soooo to make a short story longer....
I break out my semi handy dandy Stick welder attachment for the square wave
tig.....  My Stick experience or lack of it rests in a single episode with the
old vibrator stand that simply wouldn't take another ounce of mig welding
without 1/4" plating....  and that exercise was only as good as the
vibrator....

How in the world did you folks ever get a stick to weld?  You might think I'm
kidding... but I put the stick up next to the metal and what to my wondering
eyes should appear but a spark...and Arc one might even say... ( this would be
the person with a vivid imagination ).... now trying to control that puddle in
the middle of this mass of JUNK... well that's another story....  I can't seem
to keep it moving... it's not burning through... so maybe I need more heat....
ooooh Kay Doooo Kay....More heat coming up.... bumped that puppy from 75 to
150... hmmm okay now we're getting somewhere.... but our ability to create a
puddle that I can move about still seems to evade me.... I can now waste a
stick in less time then a Burkland can get from 200-260mph...

Somebody send me the secret words to use here..... I'm beginning to think this
has something to do with that other world thing.... ya know  where they steal
your stuff and in this case it's called skill....... They stole all the skill
available in southern Alabama.... ( that's why Trailer houses are made outta
bolts.. and small ones at that .... otherwise why would they have to strap
them things down... sure ain't cause anyone wants to steal one... )

Keith ( very lost in space.... and loving the exercise ).... LIFE IS DAMN
GOOD... cept that Stick welding thing...