RE: Whatever did we do before Mig welders?

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Whatever did we do before Mig welders?
From: "Stewart, Thomas (NPG)" <TBS1@pge.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:23:32 -0800
Hi Keith, There is a trick to running 6011 or 6010 (for DC only) The way I was
taught was to do a "whip" technique. Start your arc and establish a puddle
slightly larger than your weld rod diameter then "whip" or move the rod forward
out of the puddle you just made. Now watch the puddle as it freezes or
solidifies, when it does move the rod back in and lay another puddle on top of
the first but forward of, to move the weld forward. Now repeat. Think of it as
laying poker  chips on top of each to form a trail. I hope this wordy
description works for you. It's easy if someone could show you. If you want to
just run a steady bead you could try 6013 or 7018.
I really like running 6011 for typical "farm"  type welding.
Tom Stewart
#385 Monza B/CGC C/CGC