RE: Whatever did we do before Mig welders?

To: "'Bryan Savage'" <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>, <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Whatever did we do before Mig welders?
From: "John L Staiger" <staiger3@starband.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:12:01 -0500
But they do learn... that's why we build the M1A2 SEP and the Stryker family
- to keep solders alive!  To date there has been no solders killed inside a
Stryker after taking incoming almost daily for over a year.  The M1 is
welded by a combination of MIG, Robotic MIG, and stir welding.  Some of the
best dam welders I have ever seen. Also of interest... One M1 was hit by a
suicide car bomber the other day, pissed off the crew that they had to touch
the paint to remove the road rash, One Stryker hit a road side IED and
rolled over several times, blown out tires, messed up in a big way. The crew
(mostly unhurt) was upset that the brass would not let them self recover...
sent a recovery vehicle to tow the mess back (wounded egos).  Vehicle was
repaired and back in service within days.

John L. Staiger

"...those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up
with either."
                             -- Benjamin Franklin
The APC 113 and the first version of the Bradley convinced me that the foot
soldier's
worst enemy was the Pentagon.

Bryan

> I once suggested the tanks be made of
> cardboard, and let 20 guys  run with it, that way 19 expensive missiles
could
> go
> right  through
>
> I drove an Armored Personnel Carrier, APC 113 in the Army, Germany,
1966-67.
> They were made of lead-soft cast aluminum by, are ya ready?  American Can
> Co..... The logic was, like Jack said, that large rounds would  pass right

> through. At least that's the way the Motor pool Top  Sarge explained it to
us. It