Re: Whatever did we do before Mig welders?

To: <Nt788@aol.com>, <kturk@ala.net>, <edvs@yahoo.com>, <James.Tone@AES.com>,
Subject: Re: Whatever did we do before Mig welders?
From: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:07:30 -0600
Jack
  Submerged arc is like stick with a wire. It uses a powdered flux to shield
the arc from contaminates. The arc melts all the flux that it needs and the
rest is vaccumed up and put back in the hopper for reuse. The melted flux
generally falls off as the piece cools. MIG is Metal Inert Gas where gas is
used for shielding. What gas depends on what metal you are welding. Wire
feed is not always MIG.
  When I was hauling gas I asked some welders that were making changes to
the loading terminal why they used stick on the pipes. They told me they
couldn't take a chance on MIG. If a gust of wind comes along and blows the
shielding gas away they may have contamination in the weld. That can't
happen with stick.
  The Swamp Rat that blew over at Brainard in 86 had weld separation on the
front end of the chassis. It was caused by the blow over but there was no
penetration on the weld. Got pictures of it somewhere around here. A good
weld will tear the tube, not separate. Garlits is a SEMA certified TIG
weldor and does his own welding, but I guess anyone can make a mistake.

Ron Gibson, Omaha NE