Re: Coolant Temp's

To: Keith Turk <kturk@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Coolant Temp's
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:55:25 -0800
Keith,

I did some work on the radiator and put a shroud on the electric
radiator fan. It helped a bunch.

Here is something to think about...Lower temps make you feel better, but
in reality, if you could run a 300 degs it would make more usable HP.
Unfortunately, we have oil & metal issues that won't allow that. Someday
we will see cars without cooling systems according to Smokey Yunick.

According to an older textbook (1972),  we only get to use about 30% of
the power the engine makes to drive the car. 35% of the heat is lost
through the exhaust and another 35% lost in the cooling system. Of that
30% we lose another 5% in friction and 10% in drivetrain. This leaves
15% to applied to the ground. I realize that the modern engine does
better, but it still leads me to believe that the hotter you can run the
engine without damage, the more HP it will deliver. Of course turbo
charging helps to reduce the wasted exhaust. Something to think about.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC