Re: FW: electric water pump and thermostat

To: <DaCudaKid@aol.com>, <jon@infodestruction.com>, <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: FW: electric water pump and thermostat
From: "Joe & Lynne Lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:17:22 -0500
Mike:
--it's dangerous to play with liquid oxygen (LOX) or use it around engines.
I chaired a LOX safety committee during the construction and operation of a
large DOE facility in Montana and had a lot of good input from the experts
at Kennedy Space Flight Center. They had one incident at KFC when a cloud of
LOX vapor drifted across a parking lot at ground level just after a shift
change when the engines in the cars were still warm, that plus a little
oil/grease on the engines, set about 30 cars on fire. Messed up the asphalt
too.
Impurities in the welds of aluminum LOX tanks have set off fast
aluminum-oxygen reactions and subsequent explosions--killed a guy at
Reynolds Co. during one of those happenings--just one of many examples of
LOX hazards.
And don't worry about freezing if you get LOX on your skin--worst thing is
it oxidizes your skin very fast, could melt your ears off.
Then there was the fire inside the Apollo capsule when an electrical spark
set off a raging fire inside the capsule--that was 100% gaseous oxygen at
near atmospheric pressure.
So I wouldn't use LOX or even gaseous oxygen anywhere near a sparking,
smoking engine containing oil, fuel, surrounded by various contaminants and
aluminum, etc.
Could be even worse if Keith walked by with a cigarette and an aluminum diet
Coke can!

Lance