Re: FW: electric water pump and thermostat

To: "Jon Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>,
Subject: Re: FW: electric water pump and thermostat
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:23:34 -0800
Oops... Jon...

Watts = E x I      1 Hp equals 746 watts    3 hp = 2238 watts      2238 =
13.7 volts x I amps     I = 163.35, oh  hell 164 amps.

conclusion right , you forgot to multiply the 54.5 by 3   = 163.5 amps. A-

Heres is where I see thing in a diferent perspective. Both pumps have to
pump against the orifice of the thermostat. The mechanical pump is driven
by the crank or cam and as rpm goes up, the head pressure goes up
accordingly. As the head pressure goes up pumping against the orifice the
mechanical pump take significantly more that 2 or 3 hp to operate. The elec
pump is a consyant pumpinmg speed and can pump the same amount of water at
lower head pressure so those motors are reasonably small.  If the flow rate
is correct then there should be no hot spots unless you have a chevy. :^}
because the water is moving past sufficiently to moving cooler water into
that location.

mayf, off planet in Pahrump