RE: FW: electric water pump and thermostat

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>,
Subject: RE: FW: electric water pump and thermostat
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:48:00 -0500
Hopefully as a start you just ended the argument about how much power it
takes to run an alternator. I would have to guess a max of 2hp with a pretty
good load on it.

I do not agree that the same flow at a lower head pressure is equivalent
cooling though. I think and actually quite certain the head pressure is very
important. We have monitored it on the dyno and seen numbers over 40 psi on
very well designed endurance engines. Something that has to make 850 hp out
of 3 to 3.5 liters for 24 hrs. Did a 3.5 Nissan a little while ago 830 hp at
7200 30 psi in the block for coolant pressure. Ran great..
As far as cavitating the pump you generally just change the drive ratio to
suit the rpm of the engine. 3000 to 3500 at max rpm is about right for a SBC
and most others. cutting down the impeller might be another way but it is
hard to uncut them if you go too far.
Dave