Oil testing note

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil testing note
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:30:01 -0800
When I was a pretty newly minted mech engineer I took a graduate level course
in bearing lubrication. Came out of it with a big attitude.  Took the rest of
my career to realize just how complex this subject is.  Especially in
engines.
One outfit I worked for some years back had a machine with ball bearings
running so fast that the centrifugal forces on the balls were the overwhelming
load.  The product became marketable only after the switch to a 100% synthetic
oil.  Sure made a believer out of me.
So what do the rest of you think of synthetic oils?  Sure a lot of expense
when you get into the frequent oil changes needed on a heavy nitro burner.
Ed Weldon