Re: Oil testing note

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Oil testing note
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:13:28 -0800 (PST)
I found Blackstone lab's comment interesting. I use
synthetic in my Harley, changed every 3000 miles, and
when I mentioned it to one of their techs he said I
was wasting my money. Like you, I just can't force
myself to longer intervals between oil changes, so I
think I will go back to Dino oil for the Harley. One
place I believe synthetics ARE useful is endurance
events. When I run the Silver State races in Nevada, I
run the first 50 miles without letting up on the
throttle, UNLESS oil temps get above 300 deg (even
with a cooler). At 300 deg. I will use Corvette's
normally useless 6th gear to drop the rpm's and cool
the oil back intp the 290 range, then shift back to
5th.  I sure wouldn't ask dino oil to put up with that
abuse......
Mobile 1 now has 7500 mile, 10,000 mile and 15,000
mile formulations in addition to the "regular" Mobile
1. Any ideas of what the difference might be??
Ed Van Scoy (the other Ed)