Stories

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stories
From: "Scott Cowle" <SCowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:56:32 -0400
To add to what I said last week. As a history teacher , I find the
students really love individual stories as opposed to names and dates
etc.I just found out that one of our teachers was stationed in Guam
during the Vietnam war and he worked with the B-52 crews-what he did I'm
not sure but I'm going to get him into my classes to discuss not only
his job but his impressions of the conflict and American society during
that era.I recently helped my wife's great Aunt organize her husband's
unfinished memoirs from WW2. What a shame he did not get to finish
it-part of his story will forever go untold.I've told many of you my
brother served in the U.S. armed forces for nine years-I am very proud
of him. One of his best friends did two tours in Vietnam, so his wife
had him sit at their kitchen table and recall his stories while he was
video taped. It is one of my favourite things to show my classes.They
learn from it, and can't romanticise it because there isn't a bunch of
music playing in the background. It is what it is. Tell your
story-however you are comfortable doing it-those who ignore history are
doomed to repeat it-if you have experienced the horror of war-I have not
and I thank our veterans, Canadian and American alike,-you need to
convey that horror so that the next generation doesn't think war is an
option without costs, that is too easy to do.We live awesome lives
thanks to all our vets, whether or not they have seen combat.
             Scott-who has to wait till October to get to Maxton-damn!

This communication may contain confidential or privileged
proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient.
Any review, use, or distribution or disclosure by others is
strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, or
authorized to receive the information from the recipient, please
contact the sender by email and delete all copies of this message.
<<<MentorCollege>>>