Re: TIG Welder wiring question

To: RACE427@aol.com
Subject: Re: TIG Welder wiring question
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 08:54:52 -0400
On Thursday, May 12, 2005, at 07:44 PM, RACE427@aol.com wrote:

> Hello to the group;
>
>  a separate ground wire to an 8 ft  grounding rod driven into the
> earth.  Any
> help is greatly  appreciated!
>
> Thanks,  Tony G  LI,NY

Hey, Tony, I don't know how important a good ground return is for
welding -- but in ham radio, it's vital, and here's what I've done:
Don't settle for an 8' rod pounded into the ground if you could instead
pound a well-screen full of rock salt into the ground.  The salt will
keep things moist and improve conductivity by a bunch -- until the
screen rusts out, at least.  You oughta get a couple of years before
that happens.

Or, better still, pound that ground rod in and then create a "fan" of
wires, maybe 10' long each, that attach to the rod and spread out every
so-many degrees around the rod, burying those wires a foot or so
underground.

     \      I      /
       \    I     /
         \  I   /
           \I /
---------.-----------
           / I \
         /   I   \
       /     I     \

Oughta be evenly spaced around the rod, but this is the best I can do
with limited keyboard skills, but you get the idea.  More radials makes
for better ground.  This'll give vast improvements in ground
"efficiency" -- increased my ham radio reception/transmission range by
a zillion percent.  Maybe it'll make for better welds. . .

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)