Re: Mechanics Gloves

To: Shannon Tom <saltfevr@mail.sisna.com>,
Subject: Re: Mechanics Gloves
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:34:19 -0700
Yes, they are a nice Christmas gift . . . even to yourself!

Keep a pair in the car for things like changing tires in an emergency
or just protection from the cold.  They can be washed, they're not so
expensive that you hate to get them dirty and a they are a great help
when you REALLY need to protect  your hands.  Nothing worse than trying
to put chains on with bare hands or with heavy gloves.  If you're going
someplace and have a very inconvenient flat tire they are great
protection from dirt and weather related problems.  As far as being a
fashion statement when you are working on a race car . . .
let vanity and convenience be your guide.

Also, for what it's worth, most dressy leather gloves today have
fingers that are too long to be a help in an emergency.  That extra 1/2
" is nice for warmth but a pain if you are undoing something.  You
don't want to ruin a $50 pair of dress gloves that get in your way when
you are changing tires or working under the hood out on the road.  The
"Mechanix" gloves and that kind are a great emergency glove.

Wes