Re: Nitrous bottles in the engine bay...

To: LandSpeed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nitrous bottles in the engine bay...
From: "Jon.the.Wise" <jon.the.wise@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:26:58 -0800
Tom,

I agree that the bottles aer the strongest part of the system, but when you
put that much heat right on top of them, the pressure will build to a
breaking point, and then they go off like bombs. As everyone else has pretty
much agreed, I would want the bottles away from the engine compartment. I
don't think there's any problem with having them front mounted, like gas
tanks are, or trunk mounted, hell even putting them in the back seat area
(if available) would seem to me an okay place to me, as long as it was
vented to the outside (unless you can get the medical grade stuff, then it
can be vented right to your helmet :) but I don't care for the smell of
sulfur, so none of that race stuff in the passenger compartment!)

As a secondary safety measure, using a remote bottle opener would be a good
idea, because then you can close the bottle from the cabin before you bail
from the car, and it will stop feeding the fire, which would also most
likely make the fire system work better.

~Jon