Re: Politically uncorrect Certificate of Performance.

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Politically uncorrect Certificate of Performance.
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:52:20 -0700
Yeah, except the "good ol' days" weren't so good for those who were
subject to the slurs.   And you can be sure the use of "nappy" in this
context did NOT derive from the Brit term for diaper...  No, a "name",
per se, shouldn't hurt.  But various "names" have become so freighted
with historical injustice and hate that it's just sensible to avoid
them.
OTOH, yeah, I do think this wonderful tool we call language has "bit
back" at society, to the point that we pay more attention to words when
we oughta be paying more attention to the intent and actions (especially
with politicians).   But all we can convey on this list is words, so
we've gotta work within those limits.
Benn

> List,
>
> According to the free dictionary...A diaper (NAE) or nappy (CE) is an
> absorbent garment worn by individuals who are incontinent, that is
lack
> control over bladder or bowel movements, or who are unable to reach
the
> toilet when needed. This group includes primarily infants and young
> children, as well as the elderly and the physically challenged.
>
> I am not coming down on anyone, understand that! This is just part of
our
> present culture that gets me worked up. How quickly we jump to the
negative
> when words are spoken or written.
>
> There is an English Proverb that says, "Sticks and Stones may break my
> bones, but names will never hurt me."
>
> I think we should all be careful not to intentionally demean anyone.
But,