RE: NON-LSR OIL & GASOLINE INFO

To: "joseph lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: NON-LSR OIL & GASOLINE INFO
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:45:13 -0700
Lance & all,

I think that you made a good point with the crude oil price comparison.

It is amazing how soon we forget. Or is it we just don't pay attention.
Several things come to mind...If gasoline was $0.30/gal in 1955, I was
making about $2.00/hr at the time. That means that an hour's pay would by
6.67 gallons of gas. I suspect that the same job would now pay at least
$20.00/hr. That would buy 6.15 gallons at $3.25/gallon. Not all that much
different is it?  We pay a lot of attention to some things and not much to
others. The average tract home sold for about $10,000 in Southern California
in 1955 and a car, I believe, for about $2,500 - $3000. What's the going
price for these items now?

I can't remember what gasoline sold for in 1978 when the gas lines were
forming, but I believe it went over $1.00/gal for the first time. Inflation
alone would put gas at $3.11 if it was $1.00 in 1978.

I don't know what is happening nation-wide, but gasoline has been dropping a
bit here. When I filled up Monday at Safeway it was $3.27 today it is $3.19.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC