Re: Dry Sump Musings

To: Landspeed <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dry Sump Musings
From: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 09:42:50 -0700
I remember a  years ago at the Copper State races at Phoenix the midgets
all had engines problems with rod bearings. The Cosworths seemed to have
the most trouble. The high RPM for the long straight without breathing
was throwing the oil off the rods from centrifugal force. They ground a
lead in grove on the main journal to force more oil to the rods and that
took care of the problem. I have had oil pans that would run out of oil
on a big track with long corners but it was never a problem on the short
tracks. Just because it works at one race track does not guarantee it
will work at Bonneville. I know that Bob Joehnck did some testing with
real light weight Mobil 1 and teflon. It did make more power.
Doug Odom in big ditch