RE: Dry Sump Musings

To: "'Landspeed'" <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dry Sump Musings
From: Jim Webb <jimwebb@nutsracing.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 18:10:00 -0500
List,

Thanks to every single one of you for your comments, suggestions, and so
forth on the subject. Yeah I knew about entrained air in the oil and
excessive vacuum sucking the pins dry, etc. I even have enough sense to know
that you have to let the air out somewhere. Sadly, I had looked at too many
diagrams and over-complicated the issue, rather than just thinking about it
properly for more than a minute or two. It seems that topic would only come
up late in the evening after sweating, swearing, measuring, cutting, welding
and grinding yada yada yada.

Anyway, we always use Mobil 1 - 20-50 Race or whatever M1 is available, a
pump with four suction stages, three of which are in the pan, and decent,
round oil tanks. In the truck, the tank is a Peterson from a Craftsman
truck, a very nice piece with nice internals. The lakester tank is a bit
rougher, but the oil does enter at a tangent and the tank now has 6
perforated trays to help knock the air out.

The lakester project is now officially is now officially in full thrash.
Gotta go to work...

Jim Webb
Chock Full O' Nuts
A/PP B/PP