Re: The Burklands car

To: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Subject: Re: The Burklands car
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:24:51 -0600
You have to admire the tenacity of the Burkland's crew.  I don't know
all the names but one salt racer, Rex Svoboda has been in the middle of
the whole process.  George Fields has been a major cheerleader/help in
their pit as well.  Betty was chiding him big time about bringing back
a receipt when he was sent into town to get some necessary items.  She
ended up putting barrier tape around their pit this morning to give the
guys room to work,  I have not checked to see what has been posted on
landracing.com because I just unloaded the Jeep and still need to put
some stuff in the laundry and in it's proper place.  I'll try and send
along some photos to that site.  Today was an exercise in futility as
the Nish crew headed back to Salt Lake to replace their BIG block (670
C.I.) with the next smaller engine they have sitting at the Laurel and
Hardy Engineering shop.  Ron Main's crew elected not to make a return
run on the only timed run of the day ... a 292 mph run on a 307 record.
  Remember, unlike the SCTA?BNI rules, the FIA records require a record
average of greater than one percent over the old record.

The weather was perfect this morning.  Cold but not too cold, very
little wind and great salt that has dried some more every day of the
meet.  It doesn't have the feel of what we had at WoS but it was still
dry enough for some of the kids to draw on the salt with carpenter's
pencils.  The weather tomorrow should be just slightly warmer.  I'll be
waiting very anxiously to hear the results.  Just wish I didn't have to
come home today, I really wanted to stay for this potentially history
making event.

Wes