Re: Third course

To: <Askotto@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Third course
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 14:05:59 -0700
First of all, we have to realize what our goals are as a racing
organization. We must retain our amateur status for the average guy to be
able to compete. Many of the ideas mentioned so far are good, but the game
gets more expensive. I am certain that the ones in control are just as
concerned about the added numbers of entries and working on solutions. I
could suggest that we eliminate the bikes. We could have a lottery system
where only the first 300 numbers get to race and they are out of the draw
next year. We could allow only cars that have exceeded 200 mph.... Now that
I have your attention, I really don't consider any of these an alternative,
but some of the other suggestions are just as selective.

We need to keep the cost of competing at a reasonable level, we are an
amateur sport, and much of the manpower is volunteer. When we previously had
a warmup area, it was not managed and safety became a concern. I still
believe a third course dedicated to licensing and tuneup would go a long way
to solving the present glut. Personally, I also like DrMaf's suggestion. The
number approach to staging would help relieve the stress factor. Similar to
what happens at the lakes currently. Until it is your turn, you can relax or
put your attention to other things rather than camping in line.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC