Timing light wires

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing light wires
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 14:30:16 -0700
Mike

I am not talking about laying down 5 miles of fiber optic! Only a laser BEAM
would communicate between mile marks. All that is needed is a laser and a
target. I'm suggesting fiber optics only in the individual units that manage
the laser timing and communication. Lasers are already being used for
metrology, certifying NC machines, and other industrial tasks. Most of the
parts for a system are already in the industrial market place. Jon is
absolutely right. Someone with an interest should be encouraged to look into
the alternatives. In fact, new technology may even be lower cost when
considering, maintenance, corrosion, and manpower issues.   -Elon

From: "MEIERLE Mike"

Fiber has the same problem as wire, but is more expensive, and harder to
repair if broken. Mr. Potter understands the issue. It's not the technology,
it's the cost of the technology. (Snip.)