Re: Heat-Wrap

To: Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Heat-Wrap
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:34:21 EST
In a message dated 1/11/2007 6:55:50 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net writes:

List, I  don't recall a thread on this.
I designed and made my turbo header  subscribing to the hot-as-possible
theory (heavy 321SS). Now I'm thinking the  thing will be crazy hot in the puny
engine bay, especially with no fan, and I  should think about wrapping it.
What should I know about wrapping  insulation around the thing? What should I
use, and how is it best secured?  Thanks, BJ

Hi BJ

I had a new '63 Corvair Spyder, the first American car with a turbo. Can  you
say turbo laaaaaag? I read an article in Hot Rod mag that advocated
insulating the exhaust from the head all the way to the turbo. At that time I
used
asbestos (gasp) wrap followed with heavy tin foil and bailing wire to  hold it
all together. The increase in power was amazing. As I recall boost went  from 7
lbs to a manifold splitting 12!

I know turbo drag guys today insulate the exhaust too but they use the same
header wrap we use in the LSR cars. My best guess is insulate the crap out of
it. You don't need the exhaust heat in the engine compartment anyway. Put the
 heat to good use.

The theory as I understand it is the hotter the exhaust is, the more
pressure it maintains at the turbo. If the exhaust gas cools, it looses
pressure  at
the turbo. Something about expanding gasses,,,???

Otto