Re: hydrogen as a fuel

To: "Scott Cowle" <SCowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Subject: Re: hydrogen as a fuel
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:35:59 -0500
On Jan 17, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Scott Cowle wrote:
  Will Hydrogen be the racing fuel of tommorrow?  Scott

Scott, you're invited to visit Marquette on Wednesday, 7 February,
when the Marquette Range Engineers Club will see and hear a
presentation by Andy Stromquist, one of our members.  The title is
"The Hydrogen Economy - A Myth?"

I expect Andy will do some debunking of the rush to hydrogen.  From
my knowledge -- it's a fine fuel, but costs a bunch of energy to
produce and make available to operate an internal combustion engine.
Does it cost more than it's worth?  Come to the talk and see what
Andy reports to us.

It's a fine, clean fuel, but in my opinion -- there's no damn way in
hell it'll be in any real amount of cars in the immediate (10-25
year) future.  I offer that opinion because I own and drive an
alternate-fuel vehicle -- but these days I only run it on gasoline --
the alternate fuel isn't commercially availalbe.

I bought a GMC Jimmy (SBC motor) from the fleet of the local natural
gas company, and they had converted it to CNG as well as gasoline.
It ran just dandy on CNG -- with a few limitations, but dandy.  But
within a few years the gas company got rid of the CNG vehicles and
discontinued offering fuel (at a compressor station) as not
commercially viable.  I could have bought a small on-site compressor
-- so I could tap from the gas supply here at the office, but the
damn thing cost so much that it wasn't worth it.

Continued, next page.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan