Re: hydrogen as a fuel

To: "joseph lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: hydrogen as a fuel
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:45:58 -0500
On Jan 17, 2007, at 8:44 PM, joseph lance wrote:

    Google AUTOWEEK mag, they had a good article on H2 fueled cars in
one of recent issues--one of the German mfgs (BMW?) will be offering
a hydrogen fueled car in the U.S. soon.

As I noted on the List previously, most commercial hydrogen is made
by reforming natural gas so it's no solution to the carbon problem
and Hydrogen made by electrolyzing water is very expensive.

Lance

When I worked as a vendor to the power generation industry we
represented a firm that made hydrogen generators to provide that gas
for the big electrical generators.  The process used electricity to
get the gas from water.  You're right -- they made amounts that
wouldn't be sufficient for a vehicle -- at a cost that was very high
per unit volume.  Yet it was more cost-efficient than having a tanker
truck bring a load of H2 to the plant to refill the storage tanks
that the plant had to build and maintain on site.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)