Re: [Land-speed] Non-LSR Air Starter

To: "Jim Auguston" <jauguston@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Non-LSR Air Starter
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 13:49:45 -0500
On Jan 6, 2008, at 1:17 PM, Jim Auguston wrote:

Slim,

The air start on trucks was done to reduce weight. They had one car
size 12v
battery for lighting instead of the 24v 4-6v battery system, a small
alternator and the air starter was light. Consolidated Freight Lines had
hundreds of tractors with that system. If the air was low they could
jump
start them with the trailer air hose from another tractor.

Jim

See why I like this list?  I learn stuff.  Thanks, Jim.

But -- you mean to say that that big tank weighed less than three
batteries?  Today's truck batteries are about 60# or so, and I'd
think that the 6V ones were similar.  So all that big tank weighed
less than 150# or so?  Hmmmm...

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan