Re: [Land-speed] Off Topic: Our Health Care Program..

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>, "LSR" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Off Topic: Our Health Care Program..
From: "23weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:57:34 -0700
Mayf -- I think our society is going to go after the "low hanging fruit".
In other words those activities that cost the most money relative to the
influence of their noisy constituency.  Competitive sports cause relatively
few injuries and almost a negligible number of deaths and serious injuries
that produce extraordinary medical costs.  I think our brand of motorsports
is way far below the radar screen.  As far as refusing to treat people
injured in an accident our legal system essentially prevents that.  All
people regardless of the cause are eligible to be given emergency treatment.
And it's free.  Doesn't matter what they were doing when they got injured.
If they were doing something illegal when they were injured that would have
to be proven....... in a court of law.  That can take months or years.  Till
then they are legally eligible to be treated regardless of how legal or
illegal the activity that caused their injury might be.
 The only question would be about who pays for the treatment.  That's
another issue.  You and I have Medicare.  If we get hurt while racing
Medicare will pay for most things.  I don't see that changing anytime soon
although with the continuous stream of new expensive treatments I'm sure
there will be limits to what they will pay for.  My guess is that will also
be the case for most insurance plans and HMO's also.
Ed Weldon