Re: [Land-speed] [non LSR]Electronics and other stuff like fuel

To: Tom Bryant <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] [non LSR]Electronics and other stuff like fuel
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 20:07:40 -0700
I had an interesting visit with an old friend who is a GM dealer and has a
Nissan franchise as well.  He mentioned that the Japanese makers put off
correcting problems until they blow up to big recalls.  They protect their
image at all costs until it is  too late to do anything but damage control.
GM just corrects problems as they arise and there isn't the big press about
the recalls as a result.  He claims it's very much an approach from different
cultures.  The extended description of the two approaches made for a
fascinating evening.  He came out of college as a nuclear chemist and was
rising through the ranks very rapidly in that field until family matters
required him to come home and take over the family dealership.  I respect the
analytical approach he brings to a problem and enjoy hearing his side of the
story.  What I miss are the shorter discussions about like matters in the past
that have usually been on a chair lift at Alta.

Wes

On Mar 7, 2010, at 6:07 PM, Tom Bryant wrote:

> Bob & All,
>
> Don't be too quick to place the blame on causes in this case. I am always
am
> suspicious when congress is enjoying grilling heads of corporations.
Having