Re: [Land-speed] [non LSR]Electronics and other stuff like fuel

To: "Neil Albaugh" <neil@dbelltech.com>, "Joel Wolcott" <wolcott_jl@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] [non LSR]Electronics and other stuff like fuel
From: "23weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:42:26 -0800
Neil -- I agree with your point about the need or lack thereof for "fly by
wire" in a passenger automobile.  But that doesn't mean that there won't be
some market demand for a level of performance and other capabilities that
encourage its adoption in the higher end models.  Still, I'd like to have a
reliable and readily accessible "power kill" control.

I do think this Toyota thing combined with the reality of changes in the way
we will have to fuel our vehicles is going to have a profound effect on the
passenger automobiles in our future.  I predict there will be a big
rethinking of what we need and expect out of our cars. And I'm thinking that
a lot of us old racers are not going to be real excited about what's coming.
Me included.  Still I have to be pragmatic.

About "change a control from a direct linkage to an intermediate control "

I think one has to separate the idea of "potential failure mechanism" and
actual reduced system reliability.  Like we have enough experience with
failures of simple throttle linkages to require two return springs and
discourage cable throttle systems. It's a case by case thing.

Ed Weldon