Re: MG TD Restoration Cost

To: Banicki@webmart.net
Subject: Re: MG TD Restoration Cost
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:17:32 -0600
Having done some of this recently, I can give you partial answers on some
things.

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:02:51 -0600 Terry Banicki <Banicki@webmart.net>
writes:
>- frame, body, body wood, all look good, no work

Are you sure?  Check wood around the sills in particular.  New body tub
is $5,000+, although yours can probably be repaired for much less, if
necessary.

>brakes

Minimum $350 to sleeve all brake slave and master cylinders.  $150 for
new brake lines.  About $125 to $160 for shoes.  About $50 for rebuild
kits.  I had to pay $100 to have the drums turned at a machine shop since
no one had a brake lathe to fit.  That's a total of $775 just for parts
and stuff I just couldn't do myself.  New front slave cylinders are made
of unobtainium.

>- clutch

Not too expensive if you pull the engine and install yourself.  About
$200 for parts.  More to turn the flywheel or replace the ring gear, if
needed.

>- fuel system, lines and carb rebuild

Most firms charge around $300 to rebuild the carbs, much cheaper if you
do it yourself.  Fuel pumps are around $90.

>- wire wheels, trued, beaded and painted, powder coat

Powder coating costs about $40 to $50 a wheel, but then you don't have to
bead and paint them.  How did you end up with wires on a '52?  They
aren't original, if you are concerned with that.

>- paint, few minor dents, no rust...

Sounds like the whole thing needs to be stripped first.  Probably several
hundred $$ or so to strip, depending upon your method.  Cheapest would be
to do it yourself with several cans of stripper.  Messy job.  Easier to
have it plastic media blasted, which is expensive, but leaves a great
surface for the paint.  DO NOT SANDBLAST IT!  Sandblasting is way too
abrasive and will warp the panels.  A _good_ paint job will be a couple
thousand dollars.

>- interior

$2,000?  Just a guess, I haven't got this far, yet.  That's just for the
upholstery and panels, no labor.

>- chrome, ouch $$$, canada or mexico?

Depends on the quality.  You can generally buy repro bumpers for less
than you can have the originals rechromed, but the finish doesn't last
long on the repros.  Front grill surround I think is $200 to $300
depending upon damage and the quality of the result you want.

>This is about the order I plan to progress in.  Any info will be
>greatly
>appreciated.  I don't want to get in over my finacial head...,

What about a new top and side curtain covers ($1,000 from Moss)?  Are you
going to take it off the frame and have the frame sandblasted, etc.  What
about suspension parts?  New front bushings, springs, shocks runs about
$400+ for parts, no labor.  Rear springs and shocks would be more.  How
is the engine?  A rebuild could easily cost $2,000+.  The transmission?
Parts are $500 minimum for a tranny rebuild.

Hope I haven't scared you, just trying to be realistic.  By the way, if
you want to sell the car real cheap, now, let me know. ;-)

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD