Summary of Cost Estimates

To: "mg-t@autox.team.net" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Summary of Cost Estimates
From: Terry Banicki <Banicki@webmart.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:49:32 -0600
Looks like this topic struck a chord, everybody chimed in. And let me
set some perspective.  A friend of mine works on model A's.  My favorite

quote of his is, 'To get restoration right, you have to rebuild the car
three times'.  I'm not looking to get a show car the first time, just a
decent safe driver.  At this point I'm just trying to do some project
management.  Estimate dollars and time.  Identify and evaluate risks to
completion. I don't want to get in over my head, financially or
technically.
Has anybody done a Critical Path (CPM) chart for a restoration?

- Manuals
+ $100
- Frame, Decision Point, off frame or not
- Body Tub, Insure good wood, check the door sills very carefully
- Brakes, Unobtainium?
+ $750
- Engine, I'm sure I will find something wrong
+ $750
- Clutch, master and slave cyl
+ $300
- Fuel system, lines and carb and pump rebuild
+ $500
- Exhaust, missed this earlier
+ $300, swag ( scientific, wild ass guess )
- Tranny, been there done that, $250 for the funky gear cluster
- Wire wheels, trued, beaded and painted, powder coat, converted to
wires in the 70's, have someone evaluate, R&R or replace
+ $500, or more
- Tires
+ 400, swag
- Electronics, no jokes please
+ 400, swag
- Paint, few minor dents, dip, fill, prime, sand, paint shop for lacquer
(while I get shellaced)
+ $2000, or more
- Chrome
+ $2000, or more
- Interior and top and side.
+ $2000

Grand Estimated Total: $10,000 +or- 100%, Whom said 10 to 12?
Plus Many Fun Man years (1 to 2 years ), actually 1 or 2 years of
mannights.
A two car garage for that same period.
I retire in another 15 years... will have lots of time then...

Humm...  I need to do this for my Japanese version of the MGB (Datsun
2000).  Would like to practice on something less valuable.

Thanks to all,  David, Tim, Terry, Lieberman, John, Bob, Dick, and
anyone else...

Terry Banicki,
92 MR2 Turbo, Red
88 MR2 Supercharged, front damage repaired, needs paint. Blue
70 Datusn 2000, Silver
69 Datsun 2000, parts car. Primer
52 MGTD, Black, Red Interior

P.S. Start and Finish the Datsun, get rid of the parts car, start on the
MG.